Preparing for our Visit
Bed Bug Extermination Prep List
Proper preparation of a room for a bed bug treatment will reduce the spread of bed bugs and help ensure a successful treatment. You need to prepare your home properly, to ensure the best extermination results.
All people and pets should be out of the treated unit for at least 4 hours, once treatment is complete. Pregnant women, infants, older adults and/or persons with respiratory conditions or compromised immune systems are encouraged to stay out of the unit for at least 24 hours, after treatment is completed
Please ensure the following preparations are completed before technicians arrive for treatment. You will need an ample supply of large garbage bags to prepare your space.
Most pets need to be removed for at least 6-24 hours after the treatment has been completed. If you have a fish, bird or reptile you can cover the cage or tank
All pet food and toys need to be removed and bagged.
Any pet bedding or plush toys should be heated in a clothes dryer, on high heat, for 45-60 minutes. This will kill any live bed bugs. Put them in garbage bags afterward, to contain them
Linen and Clothing:
Remove all bedding from every mattress and box spring in your home. This includes all pillows, linens, comforters, etc… Heat these items in a clothes dryer, on high heat, for 45-60 minutes. This will kill any live bed bugs. Put them in garbage bags afterward, to contain them.
Remove all clothing from dresser drawers and closets. Heat these Items in a clothes dryer, on high heat, for 45-60 minutes. This will kill any live bed bugs. Put them in garbage bags afterward, to contain them.
Keep any bags sealed to prevent recontamination.
Other Storage Items:
Remove everything from under the bed. Discard any clutter and bag what remains, to contain any bed bugs that may be hiding in items.
Books, knickknacks, bedside items and any other random objects also need to be begged.
Anything in your drawers, on your counter tops, in your bedroom, living room, or common areas will need to be bagged. Bag all shoes, backpacks, purses, luggage and dry-clean only clothing.
Mark these bags specifically, so they can be distinguished later. These will be treated separately.
Unplug all electronics or appliances that are bordering any walls. Pull them back at least 12 inches away from the walls. For example: televisions, radios, speakers, etc…
Sofas, dressers, tables, desks, or any other furniture items need to be pulled back at least 12 inches away from the walls.
Any furniture items requiring treatment must be empty of all items.
If you live in a rental, condo or co-op building, there are rules for discarding unwanted furniture. If you suspect it contains bed bugs, you must bag them in plastic, furniture removal bags, to prevent transporting bed bugs as you move furniture. Make sure you check the local trash pickup schedule. Disposing furniture on the wrong day may lead to a ticket for you or your landlord.
Clear all food items off counter tops and store them in the fridge or pantry.
Put away all silverware, pots, plates or kitchenware. Anything that is left out or uncovered will need to be rewashed.
Pre-K9 Bed Bug
Prior to your bed bug inspection, you must prepare any space that will be inspected. Please make sure to follow the checklist below, so that we can provide you with the most effective bed bug inspection.
- NO pesticides can be used 30 days prior to any K9 inspection. If in application has been done, please inform us immediately
- You MUST vacuum ALL floors and furniture thoroughly
- Extinguish all smoking materials at least 2 hours prior to the inspection
- Close all windows and outside doors. There must not be any air drafts for at least 2 hours prior to our K9 inspection
- Turn off all A/C units, oscillating fans, exhaust fans and ceiling fans at least 30 minutes prior to our K9 inspection
- Remove ALL pets from the building or immediate search area at least 30 minutes before K9 inspection (including, but not limited to all dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs and ferrets)
- Place all pet food, water, and/or pet toys in a non-accessible area for our K9
- Remove any potpourri, deodorizers, or air fresheners at least 2 hours prior to our K9 inspection
- All areas must be free of clutter. Our team must have clear, unobstructed access to search areas and ALL furniture (bed(s), couch(es), dining set(s), chair(s), dresser(s), etc…)
- There must not be any major noise or human distractions. If you are present during the inspection, you may be asked to stand in another room or out of the immediate search area
- If there are any spilled pills, syringes or any type of medication in the search area, our K9 team may refuse to continue the inspection until the items have been removed.